This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

VR with Godot?

toger5toger5 Posts: 39Member
edited December 1969 in General Chat
Does anybody has any information, if there will be VR support for Godot. I think it should be possible to make some simple VR things for VR gears like the one samsung sells.<br />But will there be support for more complex systems like SteamVR (HTC Vive) with controller tracking and the Head tracking in a big area. This would be extremely awesome I think. <br />Here is some information about the Valve API, if someone is interested.<br /><br />https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/wiki/API-Documentation

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin
    reduz recently mentioned, in IRC I believe, that he had acquired an Occulus Rift, so maybe?
  • toger5toger5 Posts: 39Member
    Oh this sounds really good...<br />do occulus and vive use the same api's. Or does godot need to have two different systems for both of them ?
    on 1460936821:
    <br />do occulus and vive use the same api's.<br />
    <br />I do believe the Valve API/OpenVR is going to be supporting Occulus as well. :)
  • toger5toger5 Posts: 39Member
    Nice this sounds really good.<br />I will search for more information because I'm currently very interested in this topic. Maybe I can find out what the Godot developers are planning to use for the VR implementation.
  • Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 323Member
    I think it might be too early to jump on the VR bandwagon at the moment.<br /><br />Why?<br />
      <br /> [li]Today's VR devices will be very expensive and will require a high-end GPU to boot (limiting the audience that way)[/li]<br /> [li]The recent shipping troubles from Oculus (a number of people are already canceling their pre-orders due to warnings that their sets will take months to arrive)[/li]<br /> [li]The fragmentation of the PC ecosystem where you will have to buy all headsets to get everything VR has to offer (
    Case in point). This may end up hurting VR greatly at least in the short term.[/li]<br /> [li]VR demands the absolute best performance that is possible in code, I don't know if that would be possible in Godot unless the new 3D render engine is in place first.[/li]<br /><br /><br /><br />While it's cool stuff for sure, one might want to wait until it at least matures a bit and until a game developer knows he will have a sizable audience to sell to.
  • x1212x1212 Posts: 9Member
    Well even if VR won't be immediately that much of a success, it should still be a lot of fun creating things for it.<br />Also I don't think that Godot's renderer is that demanding, I mean depending on the scene and effects you use it can get playable framerates in HD even on a raspberry pi ... so getting from there to 90 FPS at ~2x Full HD on a desktop shouldn't be that much of a problem ... unless there is something important I'm missing right now ...<br /><br />Another point is that while there are some developers selling games made with godot there are quite a lot of those who do game development with godot just as a hobby so imho it doesn't even have to sell to anyone at all.<br /><br />Anyway even if godot won't get official VR support anytime soon, I will probably at least try to hack it in there myself, depending of how much spare time I have.
    on 1461179252:
    <br />unless there is something important I'm missing right now ...<br />
    <br /><br />One potential 'issue' that comes to mind is that for good experience with VR you need a wide FOV(135+) and godot sadly limits you to 90 decrees only. :/
  • landon912landon912 Posts: 2Member
    on 1460926590:
    <br />Does anybody has any information, if there will be VR support for Godot.
    <br /><br />It's mentioned in the 2.1 changelog that 3.0 will include work on VR.<br /><br />
    Meanwhile, work on Godot 3.0 is starting already (expected in 6/7 months from now), and will include a new reworked, modern renderer with support for Physically Based Shading, improved shader language, VR, and many other nice things, as well as a greatly improved HTML5 export platform with WebAssembly support.