This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

IDE for developing on Windows?

Ray KoopaRay Koopa Posts: 3Member
edited August 2016 in Programming
Hey there!<br /><br />I want to try to fix some smaller bugs in Godot myself, trying to get into the code and helping out a little later on if possible and finding the time.<br /><br />I used Visual Studio for developing C++ applications on Windows until now, but I wonder what most team members use for developing Godot on Windows.<br /><br />I already tried generating an sln solution file for VS with scons, and set up the project correctly to build it and debug it somehow, but IMHO VS still sucks a little comfortability-wise for C++ projects; e.g., I can't even define custom syntax styling guidelines just for a single project.

Tags :

Comments

• KioriKiori Posts: 246Member
    If VS isnt for you, maybe you can try CLion: https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/?fromMenu<br /><br />I haven't used it myself, but generally JetBrain's IDEs are great crossplatform alternatives.
  • ZylannZylann Posts: 31Member
    Visual Studio Community edition is the best on Windows IMO, mostly because of IntelliSense and the debugger. And it's free.<br /><br />There is also QtCreator, which is quite a good FOSS alternative.<br /><br />
    I can't even define custom syntax styling guidelines just for a single project.
    <br />You mean you want some options to be project-specific and not global? What do you need? Maybe I can help :)<br />
  • Ray KoopaRay Koopa Posts: 3Member
    By now, for some quick compiling of the current source, I use VS again; I mostly found it complicated to set up for compiling it at first, until I found out scons can create me an SLN =D
  • CalinouCalinou Posts: 376Admin Godot Developer
    Last time I heard, Godot developers use Qt Creator, which you can download for Windows from here. Version 4.0 was recently released, with flat and dark themes now being available.
  • KioriKiori Posts: 246Member
    Also worth noting, VS Code also now features a new extension that aids c++ development inside the editor. And its pretty lightweight program all in all.<br />The extension: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.cpptools<br /><br />I've never used it for that, but there was a ms blog post about it a while back, it looks interesting.
  • DredokDredok Posts: 11Member
    VS is way better than QtCreator, hands down.<br />if you can afford VisualAssist is really delightful to develop with VisualStudio :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.