This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Convert gdscript to C++

GokudomaticGokudomatic Posts: 70Member
edited August 2016 in Programming
How hard would it be to convert a node with a script to a new native node?<br />I have little knowledge in C (but I'm very comfortable with java-like languages) and I don't plan to write special plugins for the engine. It's only a matter of making a script faster and easier to use (new node). Do the conversion need extended C++ knowledge and diving in the source code first?

Tags :

Comments

• AkienAkien Posts: 70Member Godot Leader
    To create a new native node via C++, you'd have to create a C++ module and build it together with the engine. There is some official documentation on how to do it, as well as some open source examples you could use as a reference (there are more than those ones, looks like awesome-godot is not fully up-to-date with recent additions).<br /><br />You don't need to be a C++ guru to write a module, though having a basic understanding of the engine's architecture might be useful. Basically it works quite similarly to GDScript, but it's a bit more abstract in C++ :)
  • GokudomaticGokudomatic Posts: 70Member
    Sorry, I forgot to answer.<br /><br />Thanks for your reply, Akien.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.