This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Doom Demo

MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
edited May 2018 in Projects

Hi there,

This is a proof of concept demo , a Doom like old school arcade game.

Comments

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 152Member

Looks good. Let us see more when you've got it!

-emo

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited May 2018

@emo10001 said:
    Looks good. Let us see more when you've got it!

-emo

Thanks, unfortunately there is another bug.
    One tile had a material assigned before i create the meshlib, when i use the tileset in a level there is no material.

Gridmaps work when your level is small, when it becomes bigger editing becomes very slow.
    There is some features lacking for a tile editor :

• Tools to draw lines and rectangles that fills with the select brush.
    • Merge Gridmaps , the level is made of several Gridmaps we hide and show while editing, when it's done we merge Gridmaps
    • Export gridmap as Obj , to edit on Blender or to group sub levels as one mesh for performance.
    • Be able to change a material on the fly; drag and drop a material on a tile in the level gridmap would change the material for all same tiles on the level.

More polish = less bugs and better usability.

Finally been able to change materials on meshlib.
    Making old school levels with gridmaps is fast.

edited May 2018

I wonder how many point lights is Godot able to support while keeping a good frame rate ?

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 376Admin Godot Developer
    edited May 2018

I wonder how many point lights is Godot able to support while keeping a good frame rate ?

OmniLights (point lights) will be much less demanding if you disable their shadows – this can be done on smaller lights, which typically don't need shadows.

If you bake everything (including direct lighting) into lightmaps, you can basically have an infinite number of OmniLights while keeping a good framerate since no real-time lighting/shadow mapping operations have to be performed.

edited May 2018

@Calinou said:

OmniLights (point lights) will be much less demanding if you disable their shadows – this can be done on smaller lights, which typically don't need shadows.

If you bake everything (including direct lighting) into lightmaps, you can basically have an infinite number of OmniLights while keeping a good framerate since no real-time lighting/shadow mapping operations have to be performed.

I will avoid baking a whole level, and have to bake again because i modify the level to refine the gameplay.

I tried GI probe , it's not working very well, a volume throw light to the floor , but nothing on the wall.

Lighting bounces only work on models that does not have normal map and roughness map.

Gridmap is not fully implemented, Gi probe doesn't bake gridmaps, and navigation doesn't bake namesh on gridmaps.
    This should be fixed for a later version.

edited May 2018

This is an arcade game but there will be npc like this engineer

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin

You could use edge-splits to improve the way the model gets shaded. Other than that - looks good. :)

The normal map hides thee edge split.