This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

[Unnamed] Sandbox RPG (Hopefully Online)

GogetaXGogetaX Posts: 74Member
edited May 2019 in Projects

Hello everyone, i wanted to post this for a long time already.. didnt had a chance yet lol
Im working on RPG Platformer Sandbox Online game.

I've been thinking a lot before i started it, i want to make something simalar to Mapple Story and some random Sand box survival game.

so this is a MIX for both of them.

**Features: **
- Character Creator (Male/female) and the Wearing!
- Inventory Dialog
- Chat Dialog
- NPCs
- Quest Log Dialog
- Skill Tree Dialog
- Item Inspector Dialog
- Equipment Dialog
- Quick Menu
- Shortcut Bar
- Json database for Inventory Items, Quest Logs, Character Creations

My Progress:

[This video is x2 speed of the original.. dont get scared lol]
Please subscribe me on youtube for more!

**What you guys think so far?
i will keep updating this post once i get new stuff for you.

Tags :

Comments

• GogetaXGogetaX Posts: 74Member

Character Creation (rough edition):

edited May 2019

New Progress:

• NPCs
    • Quest json Database
    • Quest Tracker in action!!
    • Camera Zoom In/Out when you talk to NPC

New Update:
    -Added Weapons (4)
    -Added Weapon Attacks
    like when weilding a Gathering Tool, only using the Gathering Tool's animation.
    so when you weilding a dagger, there is no chance you will play "Gathering Animation" on it.
    -Added Day/Night cycle.

basically, same key (x) will be doing everything:
    Gathering, Attacking, Talking to NPC - easy to understand ^^

• ChimaereJadeChimaereJade Posts: 45Member

Hey @GogetaX ,
    seems like you work very active on your game! I like the idea of using video footage for a better insight of interested people.
    I wish you much sucess with this project! :)

Thank you very much. i know this project can be a real pain in the azz for an Army of One guy.. thats why i do it step by step.
    i've been working lately on new stuff such as Enemy AI , character status such as level, xp, hp and so on.. and also on Hit Points.. soon new video that will show this in action..

by the way, i'm planing very soon to release the game as an offline demo version, i want you guys to experience the Movement and Feel of the character, to see if something is missing or something is not "satisfying" about the game play.. i will need your comments.

good news everyone! the AI is mostely finished with Flying Enemies!
    its getting late here, i wanted to push a final update for today..

New Update:

• Enemies AI (can attack you also)
    • Weapon Damage (Attack back the scary monsters)
    • DayNight Cycle dont go to caves alone.. its SCARY!! :)
    • Enemies have HP
    • Equipment attack Power
    • Status Bar, HP, Level and XP!

edited May 2019

Hello everyone,
    i didnt posted long time already, but that doesnt means i didnt worked on the project.
    i did some overall play and feel fixes.

• added few new types of monsters (Zombies!!!)

-made some damage indicator floating on enemy heads when they take damange.
      -Random Item Drops from monsters, where if there is just one drop, you get the item shown on the floor
    • more than one drop? you get a Silver Chest
    • more than 3 drops? a GOLDEN CHEST appears
    • UI for looting

i think all whats left is adding Wearable items like Boots, gloves and so on.
    Note that in this game, every item heaving special ability
    for example:
    Dagger: can do Air attacks
    Blue Sword: Chain attacks, where the 3rd attack launches the enemy up in the sky

and the next thing is for armor:
    for example;
    Boots - will give you ability to Dash forward
    Necklace - gain life steal maybe?
    and so on..

the Possabilities are endless.

**so far, i need your help guys, **
    based on the game you seen so far,
    i want to create a name for the project.

**any ideas for the name?

Thanks.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin

Looks good. Keep up the good work. :)

• AeternuxolusAeternuxolus Posts: 11Member

It looks good, and it definitely achieves your goal of it having a Maple Story feel.

I'm sorry I can't help with the game name though.. it took me over a month just to decide on my own, lol..

Good news everyone,
    i bought a server that i can use in future updates when i start working on the multiplayer, for Account information and such..

im trying to do some final touches to finish the offline playable version for the community.
    so far, i've finished and polished quite few stuff:

• Objects that not on screen will be hiden (enemies, NPCs) to increase the FPS
    • Gender Selection at the NPC, you can change the gender (thats temporary option)
    • Added Boots Equipment (each equipment has his own skillz, THOSE boots can give you a dash ability)
    • Double click on item to equip and withdraw
    • Added an option where you cannot equip item when its not on your gender (Male cannot equip female items) and it shows RED in the inventory
    • Updated Item Inspector for more stats like (+ATK, +DEF, Gender related and such)
    • Inventory items can now be droped

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,561Admin

This is looking great @GogetaX!

in the last two days i did some crazy stuff with the game just to let the finished version work properly that you guys can enjoy!

here is a sneak pick:

just few emotes.. i hope its cute enough ^^

Well, im more or less ready to release the Offline version..
    should i post this game into godot game library? if so, how? lol

well i've been working a lot last few days to finish this..

so far, i've got EVERYTHING that MMORPG needs

• Crafting System
    • Quest Tracking and Quests
    • Help Menu
    • key hints hovering when you need to press
    • new Emotes (Kiss)
    • Dropable items
    • Inventory, status, menus EVERYTHING!!
    • Dragable items in inventory
    • Each Equipment is Special (Dash, Air attack, chain attacks)
      and more..

few new pics:
    Ledge Detection(cannot do long jumps):

new Dash Animations (works only with items that gives you "Dash" ability):

Love Emote:

Dragable Inventory Items:

Dynamic Chat popup:

few new Updates:

[x] 1) Move Server - Moved Server to faster bandwidth (soon the game will be online)

NPCs:
        [x] 1) Add Equipment from json - NPCs can be also equiped with items

Items:
        [x] 1) Rename Purple to Dragon Equipment
        [x] 2) Create Full set of Dragon Equipment (Helm, Belt, Boots, Gloves)
        [x] 3) Create Dash Attack Animation

Quick Bar:
        [x] 1) attach single item to Quick Bar instead of multiply
        [x] 2) switch between items
        [x] 3) Drop to remove
        [x] 4) Create new UI

Inventory:
        [x] 1) Split Item Dialog
        [x] 2) Locked Items are not updated when dragged
        [x] 3) Create new UI

Character:
        [x] 1) Create low Light around the character when Darkness comes!
        [x] 2) Add Dash Animation to Air Attack for Dagger

Chat:
        [x] 1) /FPS not working

NPC:
        [x] 1) Stop dont use E while in chat

http://streamproject.online/JPHT3nQ6kX.gif

Good news everyone!
    the offline version if out on itch!

https://gogetax.itch.io/myrpg
    Post here a screenie of your hero with one of the next emoji u type in chat:
    /cry
    /wow
    /mad
    /hey
    /love

please check it out.

while it loads:
    i started to work on music, so so far i have:

Music
    [x] 1) Create Idle Music
    [x] 2) Create Battle Music
    [x] 3) Create Cave Music

SFX:
    [x] 1) Create Fist Hit SFX

• canvasbushicanvasbushi Posts: 57Member

I did it!

lol nice goal u had there..
    note: if u will find/equip Dragon boots, they will give you additional jump point PLUS dash forward.. it will be much easier for you~

I later got all the items and completed the quest. its a nice game, although cant say i agree with the sprite used for female characters.
    I actually want to make something similar to this, but busy with other projects. I cant wait to see if it becomes a true mmorpg.

edited June 2019

although cant say i agree with the sprite used for female characters.

Explain? if the female should be changed somehow, tell me.

I cant wait to see if it becomes a true mmorpg.

well indeed im working pretty hard to make it all work.. and so far:

the female sprite looks like a male. her chest is flat, her shape is flat, her limps are as thick as a male and she's wearing a guy's hairstyle.

anyway, are you testing this multiplayer on a real server or is this p2p multiplayer. depending on what you're using idk if this could handle even 100 players.

your dash ability looks nice, but i think you should focus on making your game fun before anything else. This would mean improving the battle system and monster AI and abilities. adding atleast 1 or 2 boss monsters with more complex mechanics to defeat.
    Oh and throw in a teleport so there are atleast 2 maps to visit.

i think p2p multiplayer is kinda risky for a mmorpg, but i could be wrong.

are you working on this solo?

edited June 2019

the female sprite looks like a male. her chest is flat, her shape is flat, her limps are as thick as a male and she's > wearing a guy's hairstyle.

there is a lot of differents between the Male and the Female actually in close look
    1) Eye Lashes,
    2) Earings
    3) Hair Style maybe?
    4) the chest is not THAT flat lol
    as u see on the screenies

anyway, are you testing this multiplayer on a real server or is this p2p multiplayer. depending on what you're > using idk if this could handle even 100 players.

i know server takes a lot of Resources, i did test on a remote server with almost zero lag, i can put /ping option to see how long it takes server to respond..
    the server im hosting is on my main computer im using for a complicated stuff like those.. if my game turns out to be rly impressive, and will get promoted by the users, i will get something bigger for the server machine.

adding atleast 1 or 2 boss monsters with more complex mechanics to defeat

More complex mechanics for the enemies will be made sooner or later, just need some kind of simple game play to make it all work. because i want the server will control the enemies and not the client. wich is very hard to do.. so wish me luck ^^

i think p2p multiplayer is kinda risky for a mmorpg, but i could be wrong.

its not p2p, if u mean pay 2 play or neither Peer 2 Peer.
    its Free to play and its server based, so far untill now, i translated all the bushes, trees and all of those smart objects into server controlled ones.. Enemies is whats left for me. (also some inventory item saves)

are you working on this solo?

yup. i look around on the website for ddifferent assets that i can use for free, like music and tile maps and such..
    but i modify them my self for my needs

You have to use a real server, not just a PC you own that was repurposed as a server. if your client and server is on the same network, then it won't really be a decent test of the multiplayer functionality. maybe rent a vps for the test.

p2p is peer 2 peer, so you're using client/server which is good.

will your server be able to track players/activity on several instances simultaneously?

thanks for the info.. im not sure how much players can my server handle, but im pretty sure it will reach aabout 100 players. wich is quite a lot for me at this current time.. ill look on other options once i get there though.

will your server be able to track players/activity on several instances simultaneously?

already done that..
    the server only sends positions and all other SYNC information for each player based on what "Map" he is on..
    so you can call that instance

okay, how about your backend databases? lets say player A finds a gold exploit and tells everyone, overnight everyone on your game is a millionaire. will you have a log of game activities/time so you can do a rollback?

Will players have accounts? where will you store player data? if on their local machine, thats an easy way to cheat.

lol you have a lot of questions there..
    but i do run 2 servers
    1 for the server as to Sync between players using godot
    and 2nd one is for Accounts as a MySQL on my own host server
    that way everything is saved seperately.. no cheating there ^^
    i also thought about using some random GameProtect tool as a launcher to avoid all the hacking activities.

everything is already thought about ^^

thinking about it is one thing, but implementing is another. i'm just interested in your project, im going to develop a game similar to this(a mmo game) but i haven't started yet.
    I'd really like to see how far you can take this, maybe i can even help you with it if you want. xD

dont get me wrong, i already have 2 working servers for the game, just to make my life easier is more safer. and this IS working. no problems there.

when the game is finished for the launch for a beta testing, ill ask someone to try to hack to the game to see the results, that way ill consider geting a GameProtect tool

edited June 2019

I'd really like to see how far you can take this, maybe i can even help you with it if you want. xD

what you can do? :+1:

I can pretty much do everything in game development, I primarily do art/design and programming. I have alot of experience with mysql and php if you dont already have a working player registration system and database. ofc i know abit about Godot.

edited June 2019

art and design should be rly handy for me.. since i know only to code.. and little bit of Adobe Animate to edit the characters..

here is my working Registration/Login page.. looking bad - i know.. but it is what i have (on the left you can see both of the servers ONLINE)

if you have discord, we can talk about it
    GogetaX#3371