This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Deep Thrust

lawnjellylawnjelly Posts: 28Member

This is my entry for the may gamedev.net challenge, the challenge is titled 'side scrolling shooter'. I've spent about 7 weeks on it, off and on. Been very pleased with Godot so far for my small games. After the deadline I will try and do some more work on it and try an android version, I am already using GLES 2 with simple shaders.

You can download it from here for windows and linux:
https://www.gamedev.net/projects/1431-side-scrolling-shooter/

I did some blogging over the creation of it:
https://www.gamedev.net/blogs/blog/2199-lawnjellys-journal/

and you can see some videos as I progressed over making it from the beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/user/lawnjelly

I made the models / animation in blender, and textured in my 3D Paint app. Sounds / music are creative commons.

Tags :

Comments

• Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 323Member
    edited May 2019

It's always nice to see people with prior game dev experience give Godot a try, the fact that you are a gamedev.net member should help raise Godot's profile on a site where it doesn't get mentioned much :)

The game looks fun so far, the physics and the collisions are imperfect, but I don't know if it matters a whole lot based on the video.

• lawnjellylawnjelly Posts: 28Member

Yeah I'm glad to give a bigger audience a view of just how capable Godot is, it used to be people would only mention Unity and maybe Unreal but now Godot is one of the top suggestions especially for beginners. That said I don't pull my punches when I find bugs haha! :blush:

Yeah the game is fun, I've spent a fair bit of time playing it past couple of days for testing, and I think finding some nice music really helps. The collisions for the rocket are off in the second video there, I made it a few days ago. The release version they are all fine I think. There's still a few little things that need tweaking like the culling but nothing major (I hope!!) :) .

• lawnjellylawnjelly Posts: 28Member

Haha, just realised that as I had to put in a gamedev sticker as part of the challenge, I should put a godot or godotforums decal on one of the spaceships! :D

• Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 323Member

@lawnjelly said:
    Yeah I'm glad to give a bigger audience a view of just how capable Godot is, it used to be people would only mention Unity and maybe Unreal but now Godot is one of the top suggestions especially for beginners. That said I don't pull my punches when I find bugs haha! :blush:

Yeah the game is fun, I've spent a fair bit of time playing it past couple of days for testing, and I think finding some nice music really helps. The collisions for the rocket are off in the second video there, I made it a few days ago. The release version they are all fine I think. There's still a few little things that need tweaking like the culling but nothing major (I hope!!) :) .

Good luck helping to break Unity's near-monopolistic grip on the indie game scene. If Godot does make a noticeable dent, it will obtain a title that few engines in the last 10 years have achieved.