This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Area2D click detection

mardenartsmardenarts Posts: 3Member

Hello everyone, I have been struggling with a certain behaviour of Godot when using Area2D to detect clicks.

I have a background and a few actors on the top of it in my scene. What happens is the following: every time I play the project, whenever I click on an actor, I got a different behaviour on who handles the click (input event). Sometimes the actor consumes the input event (which is the behaviour I would expect), but sometimes the background does it. I do not change anything in the code two have these different behaviour. I have tried to place the actors as the first ones on the scene tree, but that does not seem to help. I have no idea on what is causing this randomness.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas of what can be happening?

Thanks,
Matheus

Comments

• nathanjwtxnathanjwtx Posts: 30Member

How are you handling the click detection?

• mardenartsmardenarts Posts: 3Member

Hi Nathan, thanks for the reaction.
    Both background and actor are Area2D with a CollisionShape2D under it. Then I use the __input_event_ function in a similar way (see below).

Just to give you a flavour of what happens, I executed the project 10 times. When I clicked the actor, 7 times the background captured the event and 3 times the actor..

Background:

func _input_event(viewport, event, shape_idx):

if event.is_action_pressed('click'):
        if not get_tree().is_input_handled():
            print('Background handled the event.')
            get_tree().set_input_as_handled()

Actor:

func _input_event(viewport, event, shape_idx):
        if event.is_action_pressed('click'):
            if not get_tree().is_input_handled():
                print('Actor handled the event')
                get_tree().set_input_as_handled()

• nathanjwtxnathanjwtx Posts: 30Member

Do you need the background to register the event? If not, you could just remove the code.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin

@nathanjwtx
    I'm assuming the BG handles the camera/view panning.

@mardenarts
    All I get in godot 3.1.1 is "Actor handled the event" every single time. Even when I click what is most definitely out of "Actor" bounds.

• mardenartsmardenarts Posts: 3Member

@nathanjwtx
    I see your point. I do need the event though.
    @Megalomaniak
    Thanks for testing it out. That is my desired behaviour. I suspect it has to do with the structure of my scene then. I will try to rebuild it from scratch and see where it takes me.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin

Actually, I just copy and pasted your code, then changed the _input_event() to _input() and didn't bother to think that I should set up ray-casting too, so pretty sure it wasn't working right anyways.

Anyways, I'd create 2 groups(at the least) one for the background and one for the actors, assign each respective area and it's children to appropriate group and then try to pick them with a check for the group. Might help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.