This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

No FXAA support in Godot 3.1?

modernatormodernator Posts: 31Member
edited November 2019 in Shaders

I'm using Godot 3.1.1 and just realized that there is no available FXAA options. According to some post, Godot 2 supports FXAA, but some reason it's took out from 3. So I try to get FXAA for Godot 3.1, but couldn't find any.

I don't want to publish my game without Anti Aliasing. Is there a way to apply FXAA in Godot 3.1.1 which using GLES3?

Comments

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 693Moderator
    edited November 2019
    1. Godot does indeed have an AA technique available, and it's called MSAA. You'll find it in Project Settings in Rendering -> Quality (unless you're using GLES 2, which in that case the option should be available in Godot 3.2).

2. As for FXAA since it's a post processing effect it is possible to manually create one with Godot's shading language. Either make one yourself, or wait/request one to be made.

Edit: So after a little searching, I found this project that implements FXAA. Does this help.

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 693Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, you've seen this link before. Yes?

• modernatormodernator Posts: 31Member

@SIsilicon28 I'm not looking for using MSAA, I'm looking for using FXAA. Both are different anti aliasing, and reason I'm looking for FXAA because Godot 2.1 was supported, and FXAA is the cheapest way of implementing AA in the game. Generally MSAA has better quality, but it's takes lots of performance cost.

I'm not meaning not gonna use MSAA, I just want to give the option to user can select AA option. If he has good device, he could possibly run with MSAA 8/16 samples + FXAA, otherwise turn off MSAA and FXAA or maybe turn off everything.

And yep, I already checked that link before. Unfortunately, that implemenation doesn't support GLES 3.0, that only works with GLES2.

So here's I found:
    https://gist.github.com/cart/7d2da58eb28c75c0952787f29f3e562f

Above link is for GLES 3 and it worked with my project which using GLES 3.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.