This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Issue: "Condition ' determinant() == 0 ' is true" but the game runs fine except when exported.

AddCodeluckAddCodeluck Posts: 12Member
edited December 2019 in Exporting

I just got finished with my text based game in Godot 3.1.1 stable. The game runs fine in the engine however, when exporting as a Windows Desktop it crashes immediately after launch. I'm using the 3.1.1 stable export template and I even re-downloaded it to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. I believe it has something to do with an error that doesn't affect the game when run in the engine. There are 7 cases in the Errors tab that read "Condition ' determinant() == 0 ' is true". When expanded it read "". I'm fairly new to game development so I have no Idea what this means. I read that it had to do with a MeshInstance's scale being 0 however I don't have any MeshInstances and I made sure all of my other nodes were set to 1 (or some other value).
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin

Post was stuck in moderation queue. Might you have posted before confirming your account? If so, thats more than likely the cause.

I don't think that error is specific to meshinstances, rather if something checks as being equal to 0 it throws this fairly generic error.

• AddCodeluckAddCodeluck Posts: 12Member

@Megalomaniak Is there a way to pin point the where the 0 is? How come this is a problem when exporting but not in the engine? Also, should I repost this now that I've verified my account or is it okay now?

@Megalomaniak I also forgot to include that when the error is expanded it also reads
    "core/math/basis.cpp:81 @ orthonomalize()"

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 928Moderator

Can you share some code or explain what your project is doing?

@cybereality here is the zip file to my project. Just as a warning, the naming and syntax really sucks cause I'm working on this for a project in school and just tried to finish it as fast as possible. It's a text based game with a linear storyline which has different results depending on the choices you pick along the way. I always get 7 errors like this when loading the "TitleScreen" scene and then 13-16 more when loading the "Background" scene.

I can't seem to open the project. There isn't a .project file in there and the scripts seem to be compiled or something. Is that the original folder you are working on or some sort of export?

@cybereality its an export of the game to a zip file. Is there someway else I should send the project?

Yeah, just zip up the folder with the project in it from your operating system (not in the export menu).

@AddCodeluck said:
    @Megalomaniak Is there a way to pin point the where the 0 is?

Sharing the actual project should allow others willing to trouble shoot and debug.

@AddCodeluck said:
    Also, should I repost this now that I've verified my account or is it okay now?

Should be fine.

@cybereality Ok I think I got it this time. If you have any questions about the code please let me know. Also, I don't know if this is set when loading the project file but I added an input called "ui_skip" mapped to the spacebar and enter key.

I played around with it a bit more and I've found that in the animations in the fireplace scene, I set the scale to 0 on some of the MeshInstances (I forgot about some assets that used MeshInstances when posting). I changed the scale of everything that was 0 to 0.001 and it got rid of some of the errors when changing to my Background scene but not all of them.

make them a tiny bit bigger still, there might be some rounding error affecting it. But sounds like you may have a few more items to look through if that doesn't help.

Yeah, it looks like it is the scale. I set all the fire objects (embers) that were (0, 0, 0) to (0.1, 0.1, 0.1) and the errors seemed to go away. You can also look into using a particle system for the fire embers, it may be more optimized than animating by hand. Hope that helps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.