This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Light shaders

DschoonmakerDschoonmaker Posts: 216Member

I want to write a custom light shader for water(so that light reflects off of the surface in little specks), but I haven't been able to find anything on light shaders. All I have is this:

DIFFUSE_LIGHT += dot(NORMAL, LIGHT) * ATTENUATION * ALBEDO;

The default light shader would be a good place to start. Does anyone know where to learn about light shaders, or where I can find the default light shader?
Thanks.

Answers

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 693Moderator

Along with what @Megalomaniak has suggested, you can inspiration directly from Godot's shader code. More specifically here.
    https://github.com/godotengine/godot/blob/7b56111c297f24304eb911fe75082d8cdc3d4141/drivers/gles3/shaders/scene.glsl#L995

• DschoonmakerDschoonmaker Posts: 216Member

I don't know if I've seen the second page, very useful. I do have some questions:

• LIGHT is a vector. Is it the direction of the light?
    • ATTENUATION is also a vector, what does that mean?
    • Is NORMAL just the normal, or normal + normal map?
    • How might specular light be calculated?

In the shader code @SIsilicon28 linked, I found the part where specular light is calculated(blinn):

float shininess = exp2(15.0 * (1.0 - roughness) + 1.0) * 0.25;
        float blinn = pow(cNdotH, shininess) * cNdotL;
        blinn *= (shininess + 8.0) * (1.0 / (8.0 * M_PI));
        float intensity = blinn;

specular_light += light_color * intensity * specular_blob_intensity * attenuation;

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 693Moderator
    edited May 2020

Judging from a glance, I believe that's
    phong based specular.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,580Admin

Yes, Blinn adapted the Phong shading from a purely vertex shader into a pixel shader if I recall my CG history correctly.

I did some research on specular shaders, and I got this:

void light() {
        DIFFUSE_LIGHT += dot(NORMAL, LIGHT) * ATTENUATION * ALBEDO;
        vec3 H = normalize(VIEW + LIGHT);
        float NdotH = max(0, dot(NORMAL, H));
        float specular = pow(NdotH, specular_power) * specular_strength * ATTENUATION.x;
        SPECULAR_LIGHT += specular * specular_color.rgb;
    }

I don't know why ATTENUATION is a vec3, so I used ATTENUATION.x.

If I set specular_power to a high value(10,000) and specular color to a high value(5,5,5), then I get closer to the effect I want:

I want it to look glittery, kind of the same way water glitters in the real world. Tell me if you have any suggestions.

Actually, I think it looks a little better with specular disabled entirely. I think it will look good enough if I make it a little glossier. I found

float fresnel = sqrt(1.0 - dot(NORMAL, VIEW));

can be used for a fresnel effect. Is there a way to adapt this to work with normal maps?

Additive bloom gives the correct result:

I like additive bloom better anyway, it just needs to be way softer than softlight. Fire shaders can look really nice with additive bloom, too.

I learned two more things about light shaders:

void light() {
        DIFFUSE_LIGHT += max(dot(NORMAL, LIGHT),0.0) * ATTENUATION * ALBEDO * LIGHT_COLOR;
        vec3 H = normalize(VIEW + LIGHT);
        float NdotH = max(0, dot(NORMAL, H));
        float specular = pow(NdotH, specular_power) * specular_strength * ATTENUATION.x;
        SPECULAR_LIGHT += specular*LIGHT_COLOR;
    }

First, I multiply both diffuse and specular light by LIGHT_COLOR.
    Also,

dot(NORMAL, LIGHT)

should be

max(dot(NORMAL, LIGHT),0.0)

otherwise, if a light is behind the surface, it will get darker.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.