This is the testing Godot forums! All forum posts unique to this forum will be deleted! Please use the main forums here for any posts you want to keep. All forum rules still apply.

Most efficient way to make interchangeable clothing and armour for a sprite?

Freeman_ReignsFreeman_Reigns Posts: 20Member

Hello everyone.

I'd like to make interchangeable equipment for my character. I was thinking of using animations for each clothing piece in each direction, or alternatively, making an animated sprite for every piece and show/hide them when necessary. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way and there's a more efficient way of doing this?

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,561Admin

From my experience with 3D game development, showing/hiding pieces when necessary is a common way to do it. You could also combine this with a spawning/destroying system if you want, so invisible clothing and armor is destroyed when unequipped. That way, you don't have a bunch of hidden nodes in doing nothing 90% of the time.
    Though, I have not tried to make a interchangeable clothing or armor system in Godot myself, in 3D or 2D, so I'm not sure if there are better ways to handle this in Godot.

• Freeman_ReignsFreeman_Reigns Posts: 20Member

Thank you for the tips. I'll see what I can come up with.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.